Wednesday, September 28, 2011

From Sorta Scary to Super Cute

I have a love/hate relationship with craigslist.org.
Sometimes I hate dealing with the sellers and/or buyers,  Craigslist seems to have a reputation that is a little flaky.  And then... I find something that I know I will LOVE...

This is my new favorite table and chair set, courtesy of my hard work searching on Craigslist and buying supplies from Home Depot.

Total cost: $50
Table - Free
Chairs - $30
Sandpaper, paint, varnish - $20



See the chair below?  I bought 4 chairs for $30 which was more that I would normally spend,
but I really wanted something that would specifically go with my super freaking cute table that I got for a whopping price of FREE.


The seats were a little old and dirty,
but fabric covered cushioned seats are SO EASY to fix.
Simply unscrew the cushion, rip off old fabric, and staple on new material!



Without seat, ready for sanding.


See the turquoise table?
I really wish that I would have taken a picture of it before I painted it.
It was completely sanded, ready to paint.  And it came with 2 leaves!
The lady who gave it to me thought it was "trash" and asked more than once if I was sure that I wanted it.


I painted it the color GEM TURQUOISE.  Behr paint from Home Depot.
Oops paints to be exact...$5.00
Then I distressed it around the edges and a little more here and there.


The carved details are like pure happiness...


I followed the instructions for GLAZING FURNITURE from one of my favorite blogs.
It was so easy, and I LOVE the result.



Half glazed below.


Look carefully at each side, see how the glazed finish just tones down the color a bit?






MISTAKES:  The one big mistake I made...
I glazed the table first, and then had to try to duplicate the finish onto the leaves after.  
Next time I will do them all at the same time so they match even better.

And now for the chairs!!!
These turned out even better than I was picturing.  I painted them with Behr "Cottage White" and covered the cushions in something called LAMINATED COTTON, which is a lot like oil cloth but cheaper.  I can wipe it down when something is spilled, and because it was less expensive I can change it out whenever I want to!  This print is called Loulouthi.






See below:
All I did was staple it to the seat base, and screw it back onto the chair.
All 4 chairs cushions were covered in about 30 minutes.


The Finished Product!









I absolutely love it. 

Do you want to come over for a diet coke and chat?  We can sit at my new table!

Cheers,



40 comments:

M.M.M. said...

Well I love it. I am hating my kitchen table and would love to do something to it...the chairs are made out of that woven wood stuff...I can't remember what it is called, but it was popular in the 70's. Anyway, I love what you did. Man I wish we were neighbors.

LotsOLove2GoAround said...

WOW!! great job, I love the set! I never thought I could redo a chair like that but now I have a staple gun on my list of things I want! (P.S. I finally see your beautiful artwork in the distance! the one yur aunt Cathy brags about!) Love it!!

Anonymous said...

WOW.

Frances Gyde said...

Oh my golly gosh! These are AH.MAY.ZING! So cute. Gorgeous. I am totally inspired right now.
I come from the UK and love your blog. Now I am living in California for 9 months. Today I discovered mod-podge for the first time (!) after first hearing about it on your blog. And, now living this side of the pond, I have access to craig's list. So many potentials....
Thank you for this lovely slice of inspiration :)

Three and Counting said...

Wow! Liesa you have some real talent!

Happily Married said...

You're SO dang creative! I love the splash of color it provides without being overwhelming. What a great idea! The piece has wonderful lines and the character it brings makes it that much more perfect. So envious of this!

Becky said...

Beautiful! I love the fabric, and the table is great! BTW..your garage looks just like mine. Full of furniture. lol

April said...

Hey that is my exact table!! Well done! The chairs are fab too.

Whittron said...

I love your table! I have been working on mine, and needed this extra boost to get me to finish it. I like that glaze, and think I need to do that to mine!

Thanks, Pepper!

Michelle in N. Cal said...

LOVE IT!

Katie said...

I love it all! The turquoise on the table is just adorable!! I really love how the fabric adds a pop of color and really contrasts the bright white chairs!! What a happy dining space!!

Erin {Lavender and Lemon Drops} said...

What a fun cheery table! Great Job ;)

Jenny @ Simcoe Street said...

This is so beautiful. It looks great! I love the colour choices and chair fabric

Jenny
www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

annies home said...

what a beautiful table and chair very classy come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

Justine of SewCountryChick said...

You did a great job. Love how the new fabric gives. Cute sort of modern and cheerful look. I just sold six chairs on craigslist for 150$ and thought I charged too little. Now I don't feel so bad!

Milla said...

This is absolutely gorgeous! My favorite color too. I must know where I can find this fabric. It is so pretty and looks great with your table. I would love to come sit and this table and chat but I don't drink diet coke lol

Tara said...

What process did you use to paint it? My husband says I can't do it with a roller or brush, that it wouldn't look right. Clearly YOU did it, so help me win this argument. :) Thanks!

Jessica@SewHomegrown said...

That's just so adorable!! i loooove the chairs so much!

Christine said...

I have a question...What is Oops paint? is it paint that ppl returned or is it a brand name?

Michelle@gigglegumgirls said...

ummm, I LOVE it...i've been dying to venture into the wonderful world of turquoise. You did a great job...and yeah for getting the table for free.99 :)

Abbey D. said...

WOW...this is so pretty! Thanks for sharing!

ANNE said...

I freaking LOVE THIS! Those chairs are gorgeous, love those legs and that table! Wow oh wow! Love, love, love and now I'm following you to find out what other stuff you drag home for dirt cheap.

I am in awe...

xox

Anonymous said...

Great job! I hate dealing with Craislist sometimes too but it was worth it this time, that whole set looks great. I have added your button to my blog. Love it!

Angie @ Flibbertigibberish said...

Found you on Pinterest! Oh my word, that table! What a FIND! And it looks amazing in that turquoise color. Was it really as easy as you made it look? And the chairs! GIRL! Great job.

I'm inspired. Off to check out Craigslist now. I need a lowboy/credenza ASAP. :)

Kit said...

Just saw your table redo on pinterest, love it!! But I also love that yellow on your walls, what color is it?

Allthingsgoodandwise said...

Love your blog and this great table and chairs project. Thank you for posting the colors and what you did to each piece. Love it. Will be back.

Samantha said...

This entire set up is simply amazing, but that fabric is to die for!

Unknown said...

This is truly gorgeous! I'm a sucker for turquoise, but honestly I just love the entire set! Great job! I'm your newest follower! Found you on Pinterest and will be repinning!
Barbara @ Chase the Star
http://chase-thestar.blogspot.com

Cheryl said...

I love it. You did an absolutely beautiful job. The colors and pattern of the fabric cushions is perfect. Do you happen to know the color on the walls? I love that as well. It's the perfect shade.

Diannamarie said...

I absolutely love this! You did a wonderful job!!! Did you use anything to seal the top of the table? Or did you just do the stain mix & that was it?
Thank you!!!

Beja {Howdy-Honey.com} said...

I'm head over heals with the COLOR!!! I love the way it turned out. Thanks so much for sharing the tip about doing the leaves at the same time. I wasn't even thinking about that when I have been considering refinishing my table, so you saved me the frustration!

Roxanne said...

I'm looking to reupholster my dining room chairs as well. About how much fabric was needed for your four chairs?

Roxanne said...

I'm looking reupholster my dining room chairs as well. About how much fabric did you need to buy for your project? THANKS!

Tammy_Skipper said...

Oh my gosh I LOVE this!! I doubt I could get my man on board for the exact color scheme but I would totally come over for a diet coke and be h-a-p-p-y in a room that beautiful. I'm totally pinning this for inspiration in our eat-in kitchen at the home we're moving to in 3 weeks!

Phares said...

I realize this is a much older post but I couldn't help that this is my exact table and chairs that I bought from open house and also refinished. What I'd love to find out is, if yours are falling apart? We keep gluing back of chairs and the leaves are so hard to get in! Also, do your leaves have the sides of table on them? Ours do not, and I wish I knew how to add!

Anonymous said...

I LOOOOVE this. What did you do during the holidays though? Did you find it too springy?

Amy said...

That is seriously the best craigslist find EVER! How would she think that was trash? It's gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Were can I find that fabric I love it

Anonymous said...

Loved this so much! Makes me smile every I see it. I used it as an inspiration to redo some bits an pieces of furniture I had around the house. Just lovely work!

Pepper said...

Anonymous... I brush painted my chairs, but having 4 children next time I will simply spray them because they will need a new coat every now and then.