Tuesday, March 2, 2010

TUTORIAL: Mod Podge Canvas

We've had people asking how to do this Mod Podge wall project:


So while my baby was napping yesterday afternoon, I created this little tutorial for you all! Though, instead of using scrapbook paper like I did in my previous project, I decided to recycle a cute image from an old calendar. The calendar was 12x12, as was my canvas, so it was a perfect fit!

Materials Needed: bottle of Mod Podge, small amount of paint (any paint, really--I just used some leftover paint from my Fab for $15 post), cheap sponge brushes and a calendar page.


*You can also use scrapbook paper or fabric in place of the calendar page.

Step 1: Paint your canvas with a cheap little sponge brush. You don't have to paint the whole thing, seeing as it's going to be covered up, but I like to paint the sides and all around the top edge. Let it dry for 10 minutes while you eat some Girl Scout cookies.


*Note: While this is drying--and after I've eaten my cookies--I like to trim the edges off my paper so it's just a tiny bit smaller than the canvas; maybe about 1/8 inch on each side.

Step 2: Using another sponge brush, apply a thin coat of Mod Podge to the back of your calendar page. You have to be quick about this because Mod Podge dries fast!


Step 3: Apply the calendar page to your canvas. Smooth it onto the canvas with your hand. (This is much easier to do when you aren't trying to take a picture of yourself doing it. And when you're not trying to avoid letting people see the state of your fingernails, so you can actually use the palm of your hand to smooth the paper...)


Step 4: Avoid bubbling/warping by continuing to smooth the paper for a minute or two. I suggest you wait for this to set before applying Mod Podge to the surface of the paper/canvas. This will help to get a very smooth end product.

However, I was trying to do this during nap time so I was in a hurry! Hence these bubbles:


Step 5: Apply a thin layer of Mod Podge to the entire surface of your paper/canvas.


Step 6: Let this dry for about a minute, then place it face down over a sheet of wax paper on a flat surface. This step is to ensure a bubble-free surface. Look around your place for a book that will fit inside the back of your canvas. See how my ice cream book fits perfectly? Then place another book (or two or three) on top to apply even pressure to the whole canvas. Cook books work great.



Step 7: Go eat more Girl Scout cookies and come back in 20 minutes. Peel it off the wax paper (it will probably stick just a bit) and check out your handy work! If there are still bubbles, set it on the counter and leave it overnight. The bubbles will magically disappear and you'll end up with this (sorry about the different lighting):


Step 8: Hang it on your wall and show your mad skillz!


Good luck, chicas!
Mod Podging my life away,

24 comments:

Pepper said...

This will make so many people happy! Project!!! Super cute idea with a calendar page. :)

The Peterson Life said...

I love this idea. And, it looks so easy! I really do want to try this.

Btw, let me know if you want to get a manicure with me.

Everyday Art said...

LOVE it!!! And the modpodge photo canvases. super great idea with so many possibilties. I can feel my house getting cuter. :)
Jaime

Maureen said...

Just love this tutorial!!! Such a great idea!

Katie said...

Great tutorial on using mod podge on canvas! I'd love if you'd share this at our link part at Sew Woodsy!

HuNnY aNd PoPpA LeWiS said...

Awesome idea!! Now why didn't I think of calendar pages? I have some beautiful ones that would be perfect for this project! :)

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for sharing your time to show us this lovely tutorial x It is certainly something I would have the confidence to do now x

Doreen said...

Just popped over from Mod Podge Rocks. I have kept old calendars for years because they have such great photos/art! I create a lot of canvas collages, but never thought about this idea! Thanks for the inspiration. If you love canvas art, please come over and visit me at http://altered-artworks.blogspot.com. Now following you!

Linh C. said...

Great idea! My daughter has a calendar from Fififlowers of the Eiffel Towers and I know I want to "frame" the pictures once the year's over.

Laurie@The Baking Bookworm said...

This is the kind of wall art that I wanted to do for my powder room. With scrapbook paper the options for colour and pattern are endless! I'm new to the wonderful world of Mod Podge but I think I can pull this project off. Thanks for the tutorial!! :)

Jon + Carly said...

Thanks so much for the tutorial! Where did you get your 12x12 canvases?

Anonymous said...

Love it...

Anonymous said...

If you still have bubbles, how do you lay it on the counter? Do you lay it back down with the books on top of it or just set it down on the counter?

Anonymous said...

Trying this for the first time today, I think maybe I didn't get enough mod podge on the underneath of the photo though. I was so worried about it drying on me too fast, lol, I have never used it before. I will try again though, its definitely fun.

Marilyn said...

Can't wait til my Girl Scout cookies come in so I can try this!!

Debbi said...

Okay, so would this be an alternative to the tissue-paper photo projects I've seen all over the place? Does the canvas texture come through the calendar? I nearly killed my printer trying to run tissue paper through it, so will try your method using a photo printed on copy paper. I really want the canvas texture without the canvas price! Heh.

Angie said...

Would these be ok to put in your bathroom because of the moisture?

Anonymous said...

I have a question re: the bubbling thing...I mod podged a scrapbook paper onto a bare top of a small wooden stool and it came out GREAT, painted the rest a contrasting color. Then, I had an old wooden tray that I painted the edges of and attempted to do the same thing..cut a piece of scrapbook paper and mod podge it down to the inside base of the tray. It was a disaster! Bubbled, waved, nothing worked, I had to scrape it all off, sand, what a mess, and now I'm afraid to try again. Used only a thin coat of mod podge..what did I do wrong? help!

Karen said...

Love this! Thank you for sharing - if it weren't for people who shared their talents I wouldn't be able to do anything! I don't have the "craftiness" that everyone else does - but I sure admire all the fantastic ideas that your creative brains come up with!!!

MrsKRNR said...

Just found your blog through The 36th Aveenue blog. I love it! So glad to have found it. Thanks for sharing all the goodies. :)

tina said...

thank you for this!! i've been wondering what to do with this leftover calendar of cute things :)

Stacie Marie said...

Perfect tutorial! Thank you so much!
I had a poster I wanted to Modge Podge to wood, and the wax paper tip is the best idea ever! Because I was using wood, I left my pieces face-up with wax paper and books on top and left it all night. Then, because I wanted the brush strokes to show, I put another layer of Modge Podge on in the morning. It looks so great, and I couldn't have done it without you!

Anonymous said...

Does anyone know if this would work with photo paper? Or with a picture printed from the internet on a slightly thicker paper (say, construction paper maybe?)

Anonymous said...

What size canvas did you use for the multi-colored project in the first picture? I like having 9 of them.

Thanks!